Glowing Trio under the Sea: Nitrogen fixer joins algae inside coralFrom Science News, Volume 166, No. 7, August 14, 2004, p. 99.
Cyanobacteria - blue green algae or a phylum of bacteria that obtain their energy through photosynthesis.
Preliminary - introduction
Polyp - a coelenterate, such as a hydra or coral, having a cylindrical body and an oral opening usually surrounded by tentacles.
This article is about a Caribbean coral found underwater that glows! The Montastraea cavernosa coral seems to live symbiotically with two microbe species. It's the first ever to be found that has a symbiotic microbe that converts nitrogen into a usable form.
I think it's cool that coral glows! It may be more beneficial to us in the long run to humans and other researches, but none that I know about. I find it interesting how certain bacteria and algae glows and makes other thins glow, like the coral in this case.
Preliminary - introduction
Polyp - a coelenterate, such as a hydra or coral, having a cylindrical body and an oral opening usually surrounded by tentacles.
This article is about a Caribbean coral found underwater that glows! The Montastraea cavernosa coral seems to live symbiotically with two microbe species. It's the first ever to be found that has a symbiotic microbe that converts nitrogen into a usable form.
I think it's cool that coral glows! It may be more beneficial to us in the long run to humans and other researches, but none that I know about. I find it interesting how certain bacteria and algae glows and makes other thins glow, like the coral in this case.

No comments:
Post a Comment